Saturday, June 29, 2013

Green - White - Checkers

Stop #17: Kentucky
By Ryan Frisco

Photo Cred www.espn.go.com
I'll be honest with y'all; I'm not looking forward to the race at Kentucky.  I think NASCAR has brought in too many of the intermediate level tracks that don't have much character.  Tracks like Bristol, Martinsville, Talladega, Richmond...these tracks have a little something different about them you don't see anywhere else.  I like that, and most of the fans like that as well.  The races at tracks like Kentucky turn into a fuel mileage race, which is about the most excitement you really see.  I will say one thing positive going into it: it's a night race.  You know how much I talk about my love for night races!  If NASCAR was going to do anything to make racing at Kentucky better (besides removing the track from the circuit) making it a night race was the way to go.

So, Saturday night...what's going to happen?  I really don't have too much to say this week.  Kentucky will come down to pure speed and great strategy.  Brad Keselowski and Paul Wolfe have killed it in the strategy section the past three years.  Let's see if they can pull out a fuel mileage win here again.

Photo Cred www.sbnation.com
Expect the Hendrick cars of Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to be near the front all night.  Junior has the pole, I expect him to run well.  Why did I leave out the fourth Hendrick car, Jeff Gordon?  Every time I lump him in with the Hendrick squad, he seems to be the only one who doesn't run well.  I'm using reverse psycology this week; I'm not picking him to be fast, so he'll prove me wrong as usual and probably win the race! 

Other cars that win when it comes to pure speed?  Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart. 

My Pick: Kurt Busch.  He has proven he is fast this season, and they usually go with an obscure pit strategy.  This week, I'm thinking the strategy just might work.

NASCAR...under the lights...tonight! 

Ryan Frisco is a co-founder of Sports Eye View, as well as the Head NASCAR Analyst.  He can be reached at ryanafrisco@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment