Wednesday, July 3, 2013

And the Foul

The NBA Draft Recap
By Ben Makin

Well, It's been a while, funny how life doesn't let you catch up on things. Since my last article I graduated, got a job, moved to Pittsburgh, and no one really cares except my Mom (THANKS MA!). All in all, I’m doing better than Aaron Hernandez. I have been watching a good amount of NBA, and thought to myself, “HEY, other people should listen to me again,” so now I’m writing my draft recap. I plan on going through the first round, pick by pick and I’ll try not to get too sidetracked, no promises. Let’s get it on.

PART 1

David Sterns Last Draft- I think it should be noted that this was the Stern Dogs last draft. It was a cool thing to see that even after all the Boo's, Stern was Stern. I dont really agree with a lot of things he did, but He was still good at being the Comish, and he actually had the best quote of the night.

Rd. 1 Pick 1: Cleveland Cavaliers- Anthony Bennett, SF, UNLV: Easily the biggest surprise of the draft. Projected to go 8th to the Pistons, the Cavs once again tried to “outsmart the draft." Don't get me wrong, Bennett is good, but at number one overall it was a reach. Because of the layout of the draft and it being deep, not strong, it was hard for anyone to take a chance and reach out to Cleveland and take their pick. I think Bennett will be a solid role player for the Cavaliers, a little less than what you really want from a #1 pick. He is very athletic, and when you watch his highlight tape you see the power he can bring down low. Also, his touch from range will fit in nice with the trending “stretch 4” mentality of the league (because teams are playing small ball, they want an athletic 4 who can get out of the paint and stretch teams defensively). If he can find a good work ethic and lose the baby weight, we could see a great starting five for the Cavs in a year or two.  Grade: C+
Photo Cred Bleacher Report
Rd. 1 Pick 2: Orlando Magic- Victor Oladipo, SG, Indiana: Solid pick for the Magic. It fills a need (athletic, can play great D, shoots the ball well). There are rumors that he may actually be the starting point guard come the start of the season, which would be great for his “fantasy stock”. He’s a guy who is going to put it all on the floor every night, great for a Magic team that can go through the motions at times. I don't think he’ll make any all-star teams in the near future, but don't be surprised to see Oladipo show up on the All-Defensive teams, he has a real future being a shut down player. Since I wrote this part of the article (about an hour ago) I've gotten three times as pumped to watch him. Grade: A- 

Photo Cred: Huffington Post

Rd. 1 Pick 3: Washington Wizards- Otto Porter Jr., SF, Georgetown: High first round picks coming out of Georgetown usually workout (Greg Monroe, Roy Hibbert, Jeff Green, Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Patrick Ewing just to name a few). I though Porter Jr. would go to the Cavs; I know they don't need a scorer, but the small forward for them is a weak spot. I think he will be one of the bright spots of the draft. He is going to a Wizards franchise that has had some turmoil, but I think they are slowly finding a place in the league. John Wall will be happy to have this great defender and mid range shooter to rely on. Look out for the Wizards to make a run towards the playoffs this year; their starting five is sneaky good. Grade: A

Photo Cred: Sportswithballsshow.com
Rd. 1 Pick 4: Charlotte Bobcats- Cody Zeller, PF, Indiana: They suck, any addition will help them, but I thought they would go more athletic and take Noel. I can see why they didn't because they need immediate help, and Noel is a year out with his ACL injury. Zeller was thought to be the #1 overall consensus just a year ago, so he definitely is not a bum. I see him starting early on in the season on a weak Bobcats roster; don't sleep on Zeller, He’ll be the next Varejao. Grade: C 

*Side note! I didn't know if I should put it in the Georgetown section or not, but Patrick (Ch)Ewing will be the new head coach of the Bobcats. What do they have to lose here? They already suck so why not bring on a new coach and see if he can somehow right the ship. 

Rd. 1 Pick 5: Phoenix Suns- Alex Len, C, Maryland: I Think Alex Len will be a solid NBA player. Similar to a Brooke Lopez. Great personality, good work ethic, travels with his mom. #suns. I tweeted this earlier in the week and am sticking by it. He is a little young, but if he can develop I think he will be a solid starter in the NBA. Grade: B

Photo Cred: ESPN
Rd. 1 Pick 6: New Orleans Pelicans (TRADED TO: Philadelphia 76ers for Jrue Holliday)- Nerlens Noel, C, Kentucky: Great pick for the Pelicans (I love saying Pelicans, I think I’m buying a hat). They knew they weren’t going to keep him, but he has #1 overall talent. Personally I really don't think Noel will pan out in the NBA, he is so high on everyone’s list because of his shot blocking, but he miserable on the offensive end. I can see why Philly traded for him- Jrue has hit his ceiling (he’ll never take it to the next level like a CP3) and Bynum most likely will opt out of Philly. They can now rebuild around a guy with “potential” superstar ability (still don't see it, and am not talking myself into it). Grade: A 

BONUS: If they tank this year (and they will with Noel out and a rookie PG in Carter-Williams), they could be in position to claim the prize of next year’s draft- Andrew Wiggans: a straight up stud freshman at Kansas.

Speed Round- go.

Rd. 1 Pick 7: Sacramento Kings- Ben McLemore, SG, Kansas: Great athleticism, decent shot, needs a year or two and could emerge as a Paul George like character. Perfect fit in Sac. Grade: B+

Rd. 1 Pick 8: Detroit Pistons- Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SG, Georgia: Could be the best shooter in the draft, the word deadly comes to mind. Needs to work on midrange, but reminds me of a Ray Allen type. Good value at 8. Grade: C

Rd. 1 Pick 9: Minnesota Timberwolves (TRADED TO THE UTAH JAZZ for SHABAZZ MOHAMED)- Trey Burke, PG, Michigan: I love Trey Burke. He was the best player in the NCAA tournament, even in the games he disappeared. This is a great pickup for the Jazz who could have the next Chris Paul in their locker room.
Photo Cred: maizenbrew.com
He can dime with the best of them, and isn’t afraid of taking the big shot. Big things coming for this  Jazzy Wolverine (you know something had to be super corny in my article!). Grade: A- 

Rd. 1 Pick 10: Portland Trailblazers- CJ McCollum, PG, LeHigh: I was confused with this pick at first, but the more I see it, the more I like it. Great shooter/scorer, and if they get a second Lillard like player, they’ll have the best young backcourt in the league. Either can play point or the 2. Should really workout in Portland who need some depth. Grade: C+

Rd. 1 Pick 11: Philadelphia 76ers- Michael Carter-Williams, PG, Syracuse: I saw him play live against Pitt this year and wasn't that impressed. He is huge, but is lacking something and I can’t figure it out yet. He’ll be solid, has size, but never better than a role player (which might be what the 6ers need).  Grade: D+

Photo Cred: Celticslife.com
Rd. 1 Pick 12: Oklahoma City Thunder- Steven Adams, C, Pittsburgh: He has a great upsize, but I think he should’ve stayed in college another year. Has no offensive game what so ever, but can learn how to score under the awesome tutelage of Kendrik Perkins (insert sarcastic laugh). I think Adams is a project, but in the long run will be worth it because of his size. Oklahoma was the ideal spot for him to land; there is time to learn.  Grade: C- 

Rd. 1 Pick 13: Dallas Mavericks (TRADED TO THE BOSTON CELTICS)- Kelly Olynyk, PF, Gonzaga- I think this would’ve been a better pick if he was able to learn from KG, but not that the Big Ticket has gone to Brooklyn. Olynyk will be thrown out on the floor too early and get eaten alive. Grade: C

Rd. 1 Pick 14: Utah Jazz (TRADED TO THE MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES)- Shabazz Mohamed, SF, UCLA- He goes from UCLA to the tundra of Minnesota. The kid has serious talent, and I know that Rick Adleman can bring it out of him, it is just weather he’ll comply. Coming into college, Shabazz was supposed to be the next big thing, but I see him being more of a problem than a solution. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong and not turn out like Michael Beasley. Grade: B

Photo Cred: Businessinsider.com
Rd. 1 Pick 15 Milwaukie Bucks- Giannis Antetkounmpo, SF, Greece, #16 Boston Celtics (TRADED TO ATLANTA HAWKS) Lucas Nogueira, C, Brazil, and #17 Atlanta Hawks, Dennis Schroeder, PG, Germany : To be honest I don't know much about any of these guys. They're most likely going to be stashed overseas for a couple years, so it is a long-term investment. We’ll see in 2016! Grade: ??? 


Well, that concludes the first half of the draft. So far, I think the 6ers have the best chance of looking back to 2013 and saying- “wow that was a great draft for them.” Short term I think the Wizards took the biggest step in filling a hole that could possibly right the ship. The east is still weak towards the middle and bottom- could we see Washington float up to the 7,8, or 9 seed? I think the 76ers 2nd pick was too much of a reach. Don't see him playing out as well as a top 10 pick should, but he was the best available at the position. As is the case for all drafts, only time will tell. Is it October yet?!

Ben Makin is the Head NBA Analyst for Sports Eye View.  He can be reached at ben.makin11@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment