Saturday, September 7, 2013

Final Fantasy

Ryan's Fantasy World
By Ryan Frisco

So, I went to bed last night at halftime, feeling pretty good about the first half of football I had watched.  Peyton Manning was against my Fantasy Football team, and had only scored two touchdowns and 162 yards before the half.  I assumed he might add one more score in the second half, but it would definitely be tough versus the Baltimore Ravens defense.  Needless to say, I slept soundly.
Photo Cred www.gazette.com

What did I wake up to find? The headline of NFL.com was 'Seventh Heaven,' with a picture of Manning in the background.  I thought to myself, "Surely that means something like the 7th time he's beaten the Ravens, or seven times he escaped the clutches of Terrell Suggs, surely not that he threw seven touchdowns."  Upon further review, the last option was exactly what happened.  For the first time since 1969, a Quarterback threw seven touchdowns in a game.  Seriously?!  In week one, against the defending Super Bowl Champions?!!  Peyton Manning, 37 years old, one year removed from serious neck surgery, proves again that he is the best in the game....and on your fantasy squad.

So, I'm already looking on to Week 2, cause there's no way my Fantasy team is overcoming Manning's 60 point performance.

In this column, I'm probably going to talk about a lot of things you don't care about.  I'll give you some of my top picks fantasy wise each week, a couple of big game predictions and any other random thoughts I might have.  Most of you will tune in for the comic relief of my picks, as long as you tune in I don't care why.  So let's start!
Photo Cred www.espn.go.com

First, I'll give you my QB picks.  Since Manning already played, I can't choose him, but I wouldn't have anyway (just shows how much I know).  My top two QBs this week are playing in the same game actually, Matt Ryan and Drew Brees.  This game has shootout written all over it, and neither defense is solid.  We're probably looking at a 45-41 final score, with four touchdowns and 450 yards for each QB.  If you have them, play 'em;  I'm hoping Matt Ryan will match Peyton's 7 TD performance and keep me in the game.

I'm taking Andrew Luck as my Sleeper this week.  He seems to fly under the radar, but he did break all of the rookie records passing wise last year, and he's facing possibly the worst defense in the Oakland Raiders.  I'd start him this week if I were you, he's looking at a solid stat line.

Photo Cred topteamfantasy.com
Now, for the running backs...we all know to start AP each and every week no matter what.  That's implied.  So, who else?  1. Alfred Morris.  The Eagles' defense stinks like cow manure.  2. Jamal Charles.  It's a new era for Kansas City with Big Re(i)d in town, which means new life for Charles.  He should see more touches, and has a QB who can manage the game better, keeping the offense on the field longer.  He should thrive against the porous Jacksonville defense.

My sleeper in the running game is Daryl Richardson.  Finally out of the shadow of Steven Jackson, Richardson should have a killer 1,000 yard season, starting this week in Arizona.

Photo Cred www.rosterdoc.com
How bout them Wide Receivers?!  First up is another combo in the same game, Julio Jones and Marques Colston.  The shootout taking place in New Orleans is going to boost a lot of fantasy teams out there, and these guys are going to have a LOT  to do with it.  I'd also put Antonio Brown up there as well.  The Steelers don't really have a running game right now, so Big Ben will get the ball to Brown early and often as they roll over the Titans in Week One.

Sleeper: Kembrell Thompkins.  This rookie's made a lot of noise in preseason.  We've seen Tom Brady make stars out of every average guy catching the ball, so this should be no different.  With a below average Buffalo team on the field, Thompkins should have no problem scoring at least one touchdown, with a good amount of catches and yards to go with it...and remember, New England doesn't mind running up the score.

Photo Cred www.espn.go.com
Now, let's talk a little big game prediction; Green Bay Packers vs. San Francisco 49ers.  Clash of the Titans, the meeting of two powerhouse offenses!  These two battled it out last year in the playoffs, and the Packers' inability to contain Colin Kaepernick led to an early exit.  With that experience, I think Mike McCarthy comes out this year with a completely different gameplan, definitely not letting Kaep run 56 yards for a touchdown this time.  This game will come down to the end, but I'm going to go with San Fran upending Aaron Rodgers and the Pack once more, 31-24.  It might be different on a cold, December night in Lambeau, but at Candlestick, the Gold Rush will start their next campaign for the Lombardi Trophy!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this upcoming weekend.  And, if any of you are crazy enough to ask, let me know what fantasy advice you are looking for! It's September 7th, and NFL Football is finally underway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment