Saturday, September 28, 2013

Final Fantasy

The Pressure is Off
By Ryan Frisco
Well, I can finally breathe again!  My fantasy team finally lost a week, so the quest for perfection is over.  It's time to work the Waiver Wire and build a team that can make it through the nitty gritty of the season and carry me to the playoffs! 
First things first, I need to figure out what to do on defense. I took the route of not choosing a defense until the last round of the draft, and am paying for it now.  I pick up a different defense each week based off of the matchup, but stats like the Buffalo Bills D 4 points against the New York Jets last week won't win me any games.  Any suggestions for me?
Photo Cred www.sportsbusinessdaily.com
I'm in five leagues, but really only care about four anymore.  This one guy I've never met invited me to a Dynasty League, where you keep the bulk of your team from year to year.  I missed that draft...in a 16 Team league...needless to say, my chances the next 10 years are most likely shot.
So, the beginning of Week 4 is only one day away!  Let's take a look at what to expect fantasy wise this first week of Byes...
Quarterbacks: Peyton Manning is a no brainer this week.  He is playing the Philadelphia Eagles defense...the same defense that let up four touchdowns and a million yards to Phillip Rivers.  It's amazing that Manning is still relevant in the fantasy world so many years into his career AND two years after serious neck surgery.  Peyton is a total dork in every commercial he appears in, but a total stud on the field.

The second quarterback I think is worth a go is Jay Cutler.  The Bears have been on a tear this year, and the Detroit secondary is the only reason they aren't undefeated.  Forte is a beast in the receiving game, Martellus Bennett is becoming a Top 10 TE option and Alshon Jeffery is starting to live up to his pre draft hype. 

I'm choosing Ryan Tannehill as the Sleeper at QB.  Coming off of an unexpected victory over Atlanta, the New Orleans Saints powerhouse offense/kinda shabby defense is next.  This should be a good game, high scoring and definitely in the favor of your fantasy team!
Photo Cred www.terezowens.com

Running Backs?  I'm taking a stab at Doug Martin.  The Muscle Hamster has been bottled up so far this season, especially with the Bucs playing from behind so often.  This week, I'm picking him to have his breakout game of the year! Tampa Bay is going to an unproven rookie QB in Mike Glennon, which I hope means they will rely on Martin to carry them!

Also, Trent Richardson.  With the news that Ahmad Bradshaw is out, the only man left to shoulder the load is Trent.  Against a horrible Jaguar squad, look for Richardson to have the game of his career Sunday afternoon!

Sleeper: Lamar Miller.  The running situation in Miami is a bit hairy, but I think Miller is going to see the Lion's share of the carries Monday night.  His chances against New Orleans are good, as it will most definitely be a high scoring affair.  This is the week Lamar permanently separates himself from Daniel Thomas.

On to Wide Receivers...I'm taking Brandon Marshall as the top start of the week.  The Bears have played superbly this year, and the Lions defense gives up points.  Marshall should be an easy lock for 100+ yards and at least one TD.

Photo Cred www.redraiders.com
I'm also going with Stephen Hill, of the Jets.  He seems to have some chemistry going with Geno Smith.  Let's see the magic continue this week against the Tennessee secondary!

My sleeper at WR is Greg Jennings.  He hasn't been able to get much going so far with the Vikings, but he's up against a very bad Steelers secondary.

Game Prediction:  I've heard a lot of talk this week about the game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos.  Most people are expecting a massacre.  The spread currently sits around 11.5.  What are my thoughts on this game?

I think it will be closer than many think.  The Eagles play up to the challenge when they face teams like this.  Will they win? No.  Will they cover the spread?  Yes.  The Eagles have scored as many touchdowns as their opponent in every game so far this year.  The difference has been field goals.  I'm choosing Philly to score as many touchdowns as the Broncos (4) but lose the field goal battle. Denver 34 Eagles 28.

What you got readers?  Any questions/comments/insults?  Let me have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment