Saturday, April 27, 2013

Green-White-Checkers

Stop #9: Richmond
By Ryan Frisco

Yeah, I'm one of those weird people that not only like NASCAR, but also like to go to the NASCAR races.  I've been to Dover a ton of times, and Pocono once.  I've also got a top three list of races I hope to one day attend.  First on that list is the Bristol night race.  My favorite track, at night.  You can see it all.  The bumping and banging, the tempers and drama.  I will one day make it to Bristol, Tennessee in August for that race.
Photo Cred www.justcustomz.com

Second on the list is the Daytona night race.  If you really like NASCAR, you can't help but feel a natural draw to Daytona, where it all began so many years ago.  I'd rather watch the Daytona 500 on TV, but want to at least see the Fourth of July night race special sometime.

Third on my bucket list of tracks to visit is Richmond.  This track is so good, they run both of the year's races there at night.  One of the few short tracks on the circuit, this is another track where you never  know what's going to happen next.  The fact that it's under the lights is just an added bonus.  They used to call this race the Pontiac Excitement 400, and excitement couldn't be a more perfect word for the race.  I know I'm excited!

So, this past week in NASCAR.... If you haven't been keeping up (which I must admit I've been a bit busy myself) there was a ton of drama this week!  Matt Kenseth won Sunday's race, but unfortunately the car did not pass post race inspection. Apparently, one of the connecting rods in the engine was 3 grams too light. What does that mean for Matt Kenseth and Joe Gibbs Racing? Oh, just take a look at this list.
Photo Cred www.espn.go.com

Kenseth was penalized 50 points (he only earned 48 for the win).  The victory does not count.  His pole for the race does not count.  Crew Chief Jason Ratcliff was suspended 6 races, along with a $200,000 fine.  Joe Gibbs' owner license has been suspended 6 races, and none of his 3 cars will earn any owners points during that stretch.  He was also penalized 50 owners points, and Toyota lost 5 manufacturers points. 

What?!  That's an insane penalty!!  I really don't think there was any intention behind this, I'm not even sure if it really gives you an advantage.  Wanna know the catch?  Toyota has taken full responsibility for the light connector.  Whatever error occurred, it didn't even happen in the #20 garage, it was already flawed when they got it!  Okay, so NASCAR has their zero tolerance rules, but this seems a little harsh.  Have I stood up for every driver penalized so far this year?  Yes.  I guess this sport is different in that there is a car involved in the success of each team, which can be tampered with to gain an edge, but I just don't see these miniscule things warranting the punishment that was given out.  Please, let me know if you see the other side.

Photo Cred www.facebook.com
So, naturally after this happened, Matt Kenseth went out and won the stinkin pole position for Richmond.  IN YOUR FACE NASCAR!  Just kidding, that's not what Matt would say, just what I would.  Hopefully this doesn't derail this team that has been dominant thus far (winning 4 of the first 8 races).

A couple drivers to watch: Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski, Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer.  Busch has been great this year, and dominating at Richmond.  Bad Brad is Mad, and he won last night's Nationwide Richmond race.  Gordon is desperate, and this is one of his better tracks.  Bowyer?  I dunno, he won here last year when it mattered and I think he'll run well.

Who will win:  I'm going serious underdog this week, Brian Vickers!  Driving the #11 Gibbs car that's run well here, he's got the same motor as Kenseth and Busch.  Why am I picking him to win?  Because I bet no one else has, and I want to be the only one to predict the victor this week!  Giddy up Vickers!



No comments:

Post a Comment